Class Hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Classroom Available: 9:20 – 2:35 (Except Tuesdays @ 2:05 – Staff Meetings)
- A Day
- SkillUSA Week – This “week” up until Thursday is going to be 100% focused on SkillsUSA. Preparation for the Leadership competitions tomorrow and also the Skill competitions on Wednesday. Please keep an eye on some of the notes below for the competitions.
- Resumes – Anyone who is participating in SkillsUSA Game, Web and 3D need to share with me a copy of your resume. This is a competition requirement.
- Dress Code – Business Professional. See that photo? That is a good example. Clean shirts, dress-ish pants. Tie. Skirt. If you dress like that, good to go. Shower.
- Dalies – CAWD2 will still be doing Dalies on Monday and Tuesday. Focus on presentations? Render time? File management?
- No Science – No science this week as it would just be in the way. Practice time.
- Schedule for All competitions –
- T-Shirt and Pin – Tomorrow you will be dismissed from class at 11:30 for lunch. 12:00 you are on the bus and 4:30ish you will be returning. Do you have all your clothing? Prints? Resumes? Display?
- 3D Animation – You are expected to be here @ 7:40am Wed. for the start of the competition with clothing and all. Ready to start. The competition will be 8 hours. Ending at 3:30pm.
- Web Design – You are expected to be here @ 7:40am Wed. for the start of the competition with clothing and all. Ready to start. The competition will be 8 hours. Ending at 3:30pm.
- Game Design – You are expected to be here at normal class time Wed. Competition will start @ 10am first presentation. Random order. 10 minutes each. Same Bus time.
- Just like last year, the CAWD Gold Winning Game Team is invited to the Champlain valley Games Expo THIS WEEKEND. The expo is on Saturday from 10am to 5pm. This is a great opportunity for the winning team to show off their product and get some real world input. Last year was an amazing experience with Vermont Game Developers giving REAL input.
Web Design Prompt
Martone’s Market and Cafe is a sandwich and meat shop literally right around the corner from here. In 5 corners. Now, their website is not too hot. Could be better. It’s clearly a Content Management website (WordPress or something), but that seems like too much for what they have going on.
Few things to keep in mind for this site:
- It’s a restaurant so they are going to want to display their menu. What is the best way to do this? List? Download? Both? Slideshow that continues no matter if you are done reading the page or not? I’m not salty, you are salty!
- Catering is a big deal. How can you make a Call to Action to make people see and want to have this restaurant cater?
- Responsive. You will be asked to make your site responsive. This could mean basics. This could mean complete layout changes. Please note and draw this in your wireframes ESPECIALLY for the competition.
Web competition will have a Wireframe component to the competition. If this word is knew to you, please use this link to familiarize yourself with this. Again, you will be expected to complete a FULL wireframe of your site for the competition.
3D Animation Prompt
This is last year’s National Competition prompt. BIG TIP – DO NOT DIVERGE FROM THE PROMPT. Surprisingly enough, creativity is not the strong point in this competition. It’s more about hitting every detail and frame of this exact prompt.
If you can animate this scene in the next two days and have FAST render times, you should be good to go. Look into render speeds and quality.
“A sack of fertilizer sits near a weed in the grass, hunched up against a soccer stadium wall. A soccer ball flies in and hits the sack in the gut with a “poof” and lands a few feet away. The sack lurches forward, looks around, then stands up, and kicks the ball.”
You will be expected to draw a Story board for your competition with ALL detail. Practice storyboarding is not a bad idea either.
9:45 Site Maintenance
- Putting things into corrects folders.
- Naming our documents correctly
- Uploading Videos into the Google shared folders
- Check the “What is Due“.
- Time for college HW?
- All other classes caught up?
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 SkillUSA Presentations
CAWD1 has Bisson at this time. We can invade their room and do a bunch of practice presentations. We can have as many going at once as we need. This is a great opportunity to practice where the actually presentation will happen. Let’s crank at it.
12:10 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:45 Student Production
- 1:55 computers are asleep.
- I’ll open up all the Twitter accounts
- TWO things you were able to get done in your day.
- ONE thing you were unable to get done, but will get to soon.