Class Hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Classroom Available: 9:20 – 2:35 (Except Tuesdays @ 2:05 – Staff Meetings)
- A Day
- CTE Open house is on Thursday 9/20 from 6-8pm. Please let your parents know as I would very much love to meet them. It starts in the Cafeteria, then we migrate over to the CAWD2 room.
- EHS Early Release Day. Adjusted Schedule.
9:45 Vermont AOE Jay Ramsey Meeting
Below is a letter from Jay Ramsey who works directly with the AOE and CTE. Over the last few years there have been a lot of initiatives and laws passed to improve CTE. The AOE would like to hear your feedback on these goals and Initiatives.
We will all be meeting in the CTE Conference room across from Student Services.
My name is Jay Ramsey and I work for the state government in the Agency of Education. My area of responsibility is career and technical education. I serve as the State Director for Career Technical Education. I work with your teachers and the director of your technical center to make sure that you are served well, and that when you finish your CTE program and graduate high school you have the opportunity to achieve your post-high school goals and be successful – whether it be to go to college, get a job, join the military or move into some kind of apprenticeship.
Even though I don’t know you and you don’t know me, I come to work every day with the idea that I am working to make sure your career technical education is working for you and that it will lead you to a career that excites you.
There are a lot of people in Vermont that want you to succeed because of your CTE program and they want to see the CTE programs around the state grow. In order to do that people like me want to hear from you to make sure we aren’t missing something – and to make sure that whatever plans we make actually make sense to you and works for you and the students that are now in elementary school.
I’ll be at your school within the next week, asking for your thoughts about what you think about our draft strategic vision and goals. Your teacher should be sharing with you a basic outline of what I’ve been thinking about since March. I’m looking forward to talking with you and learning from you.
Vision and Goals:
- We will support only high-quality, rigorous, integrated CTE career pathway programs that are connected to the most needed industries and jobs in Vermont and the New England region.
- We will involve industry as a full partner in the creation, validation and maintenance of CTE programs.
- We will support and encourage the development and implementation of a career advisement system that allows all learners to be successful in a career pathway of interest.
- We will support collaboration among systems and promoting coordination between systems as a means of ensuring equity and of providing students with a high-quality experience.
- We will work to improve the public perception of CTE.
10:45 Break (15 Minutes)
11:00 Jquery Mobile
“jQuery Mobile is a touch-optimized HTML5 UI framework designed to make responsive web sites and apps that are accessible on all smartphone, tablet and desktop devices.”
- Connecting to the JQuery Library
- Making Pages
- Adding Content (Basic HTML things)
- Navigations / Menus
- Sliding Panels
<link rel="stylesheet" href="http://code.jquery.com/mobile/1.4.5/jquery.mobile-1.4.5.min.css" />
Here is Jquery’s HUGE selection of micro demos. That is where you will get most documentation on JQuery’s abilities. All those micro demos have source code to reference for you own projects.
We will be using JQuery Mobile to create information based apps. Similar to apps you may have seen on the app store that describe a game, movie or TV Show.
Today I would like you to focus on getting all of your content onto seperate pages. Tomorrow we will dive into stylizing these pages beyond basic CSS styles.
11:50 Lunch (30 Minutes)
12:20 Attendance and Article
12:25 Site Maintenance
12:30 EHS students Leave for 7/8
12:40 CTE Students leave for 7/8
12:45 Google 20%
This is our first Google 20% of the year. Yes, right in week 2. I am giving you all TWO AFTERNOONS this year for google 20%. I did this for two big key reasons:
- Ability to continue projects more seamlessly from week to week.
- Allow every student (who doesn’t leave on both afternoons) to get a google 20% each week.
I truly do feel we make our best work when our creativity can flourish. Set yourself a reasonable SCOPE for a project and go from there.
Self-directed time for a topic of choice. It can be anything CAWD related. Go out, find a couple tutorials, maybe some inspiration for a specific piece of art, or learn a new skill altogether. Rough topics below to maybe help you out:
I’ll be going around at 1:00 every Tuesday & Friday to gather your topics. You can always continue your projects from week to week (I highly encourage that your do!), but I need to see significant progress.
1:35 EHS Bus Students EOD
- 1:55 computers are asleep.
- I’ll open up all the Twitter accounts
- You will post a Photo, Objective, and Challenge into one post