Today we hopped on the bus and went to visit a number of former Cawd students at Dealer.com in Burlington. Focusing on automotive website and design, Dealer is now the largest single employer of Cawd students. In the above image, we see a number of our people through hears include Angela, Hoyt, Murray, Christie, Josiah, Markus, and Hinchliffe at the bottom. That isn’t even all of them.
We were able to get a tour and hear about some of the great programs that Dealer has for their employees include:
- Restaurants / gym / massages at work.
- Family and sports events in their theater when something big happens like UVM Hockey playoffs.
- Dealer will help pay for college – not everyone in the above picture has their degree yet, but they demonstrated their abilities. Now Dealer is helping pay their college.
What they did complain about was parking. Parking is not ideal. In reality, though, that is a pretty first world problem.
We were able to have a question and answer session with them as well.
Some of their main recommendations to us as young humans:
- Don’t stop learning – try to read articles and stay up to date even when not talking classes.
- Try new things!
- Take risks.
- Follow your passions.
- Go outside. Have a life.
- Friendships and relationships are very important, not just socially, but professionally.
We hope to do some collaboration this year where they get to come to Cawd and we can learn a little from them directly on their careers at Dealer.
Thanks to all for taking their time to visit with us!
~ Mr. Cronin