Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
Assignment 3: Visual Resume Two Ways
This week in DIM we are going to work on two variations on the same theme. The idea will be to use Photoshop to create visual resumes for you, potentially for your Portfolio as college admission season is right around the corner.
These will not be as specific as traditional paper resumes, and they are not trying to replicate that. These are stylistic versions to support your traditional resume.
Part 1: The Pure Visual:
The first version will be a purely visual resume. Select 8 projects and an image of yourself and set up a composition as similar to what you see above:
- 1080p in size at 300 dpi.
- Use guides and masks to distribute your work evenly.
- Setup a slight reflection which fades away. This will likely use a double mask.
- Setup a background with a slight radial gradient to give the sense of depth, without being obnoxious.
- One of your slices must be an image of you, which you would feel comfortable with sharing with employers/job shadows / your Portfolio.
- Save as “pureVisualResume.jpg”.
Part 2: The Hybrid:
The second version will be a hybrid of art and words. Still not as descriptive or specific as a traditional resume, but a project to support Portfolio.
- 8.5″ x 11″ at Portrait Orientation at 300 dpi. This starts to move towards a traditional resume setup.
- Include a visual brand for you. This could be a logo, or creative use of Type. Please don’t simply give me Times New Roman of your name and expect the “A”.
- Setup with personal info (use real or made up biographic info if you are uncomfortable sharing real info).
- Setup with 4 subsections and populate logically. Think less hyper-specific, and more general. For example, write “Mount Mansfield High School” as compared to “Mount Mainsfield High School. Jericho, Vermont. 2013-2018“. Include the following sub sections:
- About Me
- Save as “hybridVisualResume.jpg”.
- Editing your work, from both a technical perspective, but also project selections.
- Your brand.
- Masks / Guides / Text / Vector tools / Layer Effects
Turning in work
Create a folder called “dim”.
Create a folder called “assignment_3” inside “dim”. Inside place:
If you don’t know how to do something
- Talk to Mr. Moore. He is very good at this.
- Talk to me.
The presentation is 100% of your grade. You will take 3-5 minutes and present:
- Goals of the assignment (1 or 2 sentences, we will all have the same-ish content, but it is good to do)
- Your work, and what you did specifically with each. What were your goals with each specific photo?
- Self-reflection. What went right? What would you change in the future? (Must have at least 1 critique of your own work, this helps growth and internal evaluation of you as a designer.)
- Show me your files / digital asset management.
Be ready by 11:10 every other Wednesday. Plan your time well. Ask Mr. Moore for Cameras. Give yourself time to go out and take great photos. Plan on at least two hours for each project in Photoshop.
Dates to remember
- Assigned Wednesday, November 1st
- Due Wednesday, November 15th at 11:10 AM through Presentation in Cawd2