Class hours: 9:40am – 2:05pm
In this weeks DIM assignment you are to work on one of two career fields:
- Web / Graphic Designer
- Game Art and Animation Designer
Choose the specialty which you feel most connects to your career path, college degree, or just seems interesting. You will be using Photoshop this week as a tool for each career field.
Web / Graphic Designer
If you choose to work as a Web / Graphic Designer you are going to work for a “brand”. You can create the brand yourself, or you can use an existing Brand.
- You can use a company like “Ford” and use their logo
- You can use a person like “Taylor Swift” and use her imagery
- You can use your own brand, or come up with a fictitious company
Any image is legal to use from the internet for a couple reasons:
- We care what you can do in Photoshop for this assignment.
- If you were doing post production in the real world, you would be delivered assets by the client or Creative Director. Consider “the internet” your folder of source images to use.
With that said I am going to require that all images you use, that you take any content from, you save in a “source” folder to present to us as part of your overall presentation. We want to see, and I want to assess, what you do in Photoshop.
Next, you are going to take a look at the IAB’s recommendations for advertisers. The Interactive Advertising Bureau is an advertising business organization that develops industry standards, conducts research, and provides legal support for the online advertising industry. While not binding, they are recommendations, which have become commonplace in our industry.
You are going to look through the design specs for advertisements. I want you to find 5 different advertisement types, and generate an ad campaign for your brand. I say campaign as the design elements / themes must be consistent. If you are going to choose Burton snowboards and use European mountain peaks (without trees) as supporting imagery, this same type of peak should show up across the campaign. Don’t mix New England woods for some pieces, Swiss Alps for others. Consistency in the campaign will be a factor in your grade.
Most of these will be listed on Page 9 of the .pdf under “Flexible Size Ad Specifications“. An example would be the “Smartphone Banner.” You could choose anywhere in the min->max size range, so long as you can explain your decisions.
There are a great multitude of IAB recommendations, but I am only holding you to size. Other requirements that deal with initial load, sub load, z-index will not be a focus. Size is the key.
It is actually quite interesting to read through the different specifications, how video should be used, auto-plays, z-index’s, etc. You all have lots of free time right?
At the end you will have 5 images (saved as high quality .jpg’s) which are named as the type of advertisement type they are. For example “smartphoneBanner.jpg”
You will have 5 images to present.
In addition create a “source” folder with all source imagery you use to show off so we can see what you downloaded, and what you designed.
Do your best to use pre-created type. If you must create your own type, do your best to mimic the look and feel of the established brand.
Game Art and Animation Designer
In this option you are going to work as a designer in the game art field. You are going to do two projects, the crate, and the barrel – classics in the industry.
Models are basic, cube and cylinder. Nothing special.
I want you to unwrap each model and bring the unwraped template into Photoshop. For each you will design in your own style, but you must include your name for each.
Any image is legal to use from the internet for this. Find some base wood materials, base painted metal, to use in your production.
In the end you will turn in 4 files:
- “crateMaterial.jpg” – the texture map
- “crateRender.jpg” a 720p render of a stack of 3 crates with attractive lighting (Final Gather? IBL? Just make it pretty)
- “barrelMaterial.jpg” – the texture map
- “barellRender.jpg” a 720p render of a stack of 3 barrels with attractive lighting
Create a “source” folder where all reference images are placed so we can see what you did / what you downloaded.
Turning in work
Create a folder called “dim”.
Create a folder called “assignment_5” inside “dim”. Inside place the work product listed above depending on your project selection.
The presentation is 100% of your grade. You will take 3-5 minutes and present:
- Goals of the assignment (1 or 2 sentences, we will all have the same-ish content, but it is good to do)
- Your work, and what you did specifically with each. What were your goals with each specific photo?
- Self-reflection. What went right? What would you change in the future? (Must have at least 1 critique of your own work, this helps growth and internal evaluation of you as a designer.)
- Show me your files / digital asset management.
Dates to remember
- Assigned Wednesday, December 6th
- Due Wednesday, December 20th at 11:10 AM through Presentation in Cawd2